Teach Children to Save South Africa (TCTS SA) was adopted as a key event during the July National Savings Month, following the successful pilot launch on 25 July 2008. The initiative aims to take the savings message to our youths, equipping them with the basic financial skills to help them become better savers now and in future.
As with the pilot event, volunteers from the financial sector will exchange their boardrooms for classrooms and deliver a 30minutes to 1hour lesson, to learners in Grades 4-7 in schools across the country. Volunteers will use their work experience to inspire learners to become life long savers.
TCTS SA Objectives
The overall Goal of TCTS SA is to Teach Children to Save.
TCTS SA aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Foster a culture of saving
- Promote volunteerism
- Create awareness about the value of money and the importance of saving
- Promote financial literacy
- Assist learners to appreciate that choice empowers
How the Programme Works
The TCTS SA event meets the following criteria:
- Lessons are taught by financial sector professionals
- Lessons are presented as an organized learning experience so that learners understand the importance of the topic
- Lesson Plans cover the basic concepts of saving, including;
- Reasons to Save – saving is the best way to get what you want and need with security and peace of mind
- Budgeting to Save – budgeting is the best way to finding out what you can afford based on how much you have. Differentiating between your needs and wants is the first step to saving.
- Where to Save – there are several places to keep your money. You have to choose instruments that will help you make the most out of your money.
For more information contact the Coordinator TCTS SA at:
Tel:011 269 3789
Fax:011 838 4541
Cell:079 352 1770